Wednesday 29 April 2009

Three of a kind

So far this week I've proved a fucking good theorem (it's what I'm paid for, don't bother congratulating me), I've had an outstanding night at coastal poker and Mrs Pouncer has, graciously, acknowledged the accuracy of my insight into her dress supplier.  Weeks don't come much better, short of falling in requited love. The high of each will last for days (weeks for the theorem, sometimes it's months).

Possibly the poker bears further comment. I was in the zone, where you know what's going right and what's going wrong, where things happen without your pushing, where you feel afterwards that you could have done even better if you'd made just a slightly bigger effort, where you know when to be hard and when to be soft. And my opponents were forming a disorderly queue in their enthusiasm to give me all their money; I had them mesmerized. If this sounds smug then I've failed to make my point, which is that these times don't happen often, but they must be recognized and seized when they do.

13 comments:

Ms Scarlet said...

Would you ever play poker with Derren Brown?
Sx

KAZ said...

You've proved a theorem - excellent news.
I thought they'd all been done.
Will you call it Inkspot's theorem?

Gadjo Dilo said...

Congratulations anyway. I'm curious to know, is the "coastal" aspect of coastal poker significant in any way?

Anonymous said...

Do you have a poker face?

xerxes said...

Scarlet, I've just googled Derren Brown: I'd play with him, but I wouldn't let him deal.

Kaz, ace wind-up. A mathematician's work is never done.

Gadj, it happens near the coast, see earlier post.

Nurse, for you... keep guessing.

BEAST said...

You are the Lady Ga Ga of Blogging Inky .(Flaunts grasp of current yoof culture)
You could challenge Miss Scarlet to a game of strip poker.

Ms Scarlet said...

Oh... things come in threes...! Yes, I'd also call that a good night...
Sorry, I've been more slow than usual lately.
Sx

Dr Maroon said...

Strip poker is overrated Beast. Trust me. With few exceptions it is much better to play dress poker. You've got it..."Full house, put your fucking clothes on Gladys." The exception I mention is when you are in the company of The Most Beautiful Woman In The World. Like duh.

A man who has knowledge of a lady's apparel and its origins is gay. Sorry Inky. What was the theorem? Was it instantaneous time? I always like that one.

xerxes said...

Wow Beast, I had to look that one up. Right, I'd better get you on Precision Handling's advisory board asap as cultural attaché case.

Scarlet, do keep up, this is a high-level blog. Do you have the right security clearance?

Dr M, apparel is one thing, slutwear another. And more fun than strip poker in Trinity. The theorem I'll explain to you at lunch.

Dr Maroon said...

I am as usual, agog.

Kevin Musgrove said...

Did the theorem involve the snapping point of ladies' knicker elastic? We are in need of warm catapults.

Lulu LaBonne said...

So you started off as Pythagoras and have become The Lady Ga Ga of blogging! are you wearing lycra and a big cape?

xerxes said...

Kevin, not quite, keep going.

Lulu, no, just a pointy bra and hat. BTW, pointy bras are so misleading: I ran full tilt into Mrs Palmer in the playground at the age of 6 and was astonished to find that breasts are soft.

Update: I was 6, not Mrs Palmer.